Learning Beyond LMSs: Modernize Your Training Technology
Gilead Had A Vision.
Learning Beyond The LMS: Modernize Your Training Technology (without starting over).
Gilead had a Vision: for its 2,000 global sales personnel in US, UK & EU to access all of the content, curriculums, activities and assets currently located across its various LMSs and applications in one place - on Scrimmage’s mobile learning platform, anytime, everywhere.
Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company’s mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases. Gilead has operations in more than 35 countries worldwide, with headquarters in Foster City, California. For nearly 30 years, Gilead has been a leading innovator in the field of HIV, driving advances in treatment, prevention, testing and linkage to care, and cure research. Today, it’s estimated that more than 10 million people living with HIV globally receive antiretroviral therapy provided by Gilead or one of the company’s manufacturing partners.
• A Mobile Platform integrates all existing systems, so content is accessible, anytime, everywhere.
• Create one “touch point” for learners to visit on any device for all content and training needs.
• Streamline Reporting across all systems to offer a richer story.
• On the backend, one team of administrators manages it.
Historically, there are rigorous regulations and strict compliance parameters in the life sciences that create extraordinary amounts of documents, information and data for employees, along with exponential business growth that have meant emerging new training demands.
Today, companies have accumulated multiple LMSs over the decades that are quickly becoming outdated, inefficient – and a cost center, once again. In addition, companies have implemented numerous training, onboarding and other learning applications (ComplianceWire, Sharepoint, SuccessFactors) across the organization to accommodate required curriculum modules.
The Old Method:
• Learners accessed different systems requiring separate access, including desktop-only access.
• Systems were not integrated, which was difficult for learners to know which modules were outstanding.
• With so many training repositories to access, learners were not committed to the learning process.
• Key documents were not always available depending on the location of the salesperson (mobile vs. desktop).
• Reporting was not robust, nor informative. Metrics and analytics existed, but only for each individual repository. There was no understanding of the salesperson’s overall learning journey.
• Learners experienced redundancies with multiple administrators managing different systems, which complicated learning and reduced engagement.
The Technology Challenges:
• Do the older technologies (i.e. desktop only versions) have the functionalities to integrate with newer, cutting-edge mobile technology?
• Are the older systems able to integrate into the existing native iOS application currently on the salespersons’ iPads? A must to ensure a smoother transition for the learner + to keep it secure, vital to the proprietary life sciences.
• How would all of the systems interact? Would they interact seamlessly? Would one “Search” on the mobile platform, for instance, include all of the data across every system and application?
• With its global reach, would different languages, dialects, time zones be supported?
An initial onsite immersed analysis identified the following four issues (and ultimate guidelines) facing the project:
1. How would Scrimmage accomplish the project – and how would it be supported by Gilead’s IT team?
2. What is the mapping involved to properly sync Gilead’s data model to Scrimmage’s? What are the necessary APIs to aid in the integration and interoperability between new and legacy systems?
3. What are the design elements, the layout and the interactions to create a user-friendly platform for learners?
4. What would the business process look like to ensure a smooth transition to all-in-one mobile learning platform?
Scrimmage utilized an Agile methodology throughout the process to be sure that timelines, requirements and testing were met.
A personalized “Learning Center” is now the hub of learning and training for Gilead’s sales team, available anywhere, anytime upon sign-in to a native iOS application on their iPads, or other mobile devices.
THE LEARNING PLAN -
The New Method For Learners:
• Feedback shows training isn't viewed as laborious, difficult and confusing anymore. Initial reporting indicates learner engagement has significantly increased. If looking at Q3 data year-over-year (2016 vs. 2017), for instance, July enjoyed a 244% increase in usage; August saw a 397% increase; and September had a 170% increase.
• Knowledge acquisition soared. The mobile platform houses all forms of content (static to dynamic), which diversifies learning and makes it interesting.
• Learners understand exactly what training needs to be achieved, decreasing completion times. Translates into more available time to sell.
The New Method For Administrators:
• Feedback reveals that it is an easier tool to manage.
• By having one central location for all systems/applications, they save considerable time and decreased confusion and redundancies.
• They are empowered to effectively target relevant content to related learners. An Active Directory, for instance, was added, in which new users, or the removal of users, became automated.
• This integrated solution is also scalable. New tools and applications can easily be added.
New Reporting – A New Phenomenon
• With full transparent, accurate reporting, learners felt a true sense of accountability.
• By giving learners their test scores, performance and engagement rates in real time, they understand their learning journey, strive to do better, ensure that expectations were met.
• Managers jump in if coaching was needed, or made other adjustments.
• The new reporting ensured knowledge + revealed proper fit of the learner to the job, sooner than later.
This mobile solution extended the original investment in and life of the older systems. The time to implement this integration project took a few months vs. 3x/4x longer for a new learning system. The reality is today’s work and today’s workforce is mobile. It means being completive, encouraging learning and driving performance.
To Learn More About Our Integration Technology, Learning Plan/Learning Center & Experience The Platform, Please Click Here.
SCRIMMAGE is a modern technology firm featuring the latest mobile learning, engagement and collaboration tools serving global businesses. The company works closely with its clients to build a customized, highly responsive, scalable and secure platform for all content, along with a full suite of learning solutions, including gamification, social collaboration and robust data reporting - on One Platform, Any Device, Anytime, Everywhere. Founded in 2010, Scrimmage serves over 100,000 active users today and more than 50 enterprise clients across a spectrum of industries.
Companies that Trust Scrimmage for their learning services.
Client Service And Client Happiness Are Paramount At Scrimmage.
Check Out More Success Stories To Learn How Scrimmage Empowers Teams, Drives Performance.
With over 16.5M assets downloaded by learners to date, our technology drives performance & success.
Ready for a better learning solution?
Simple Access to All Your Content — on One Platform, on Any Device.Let's get started